Frequently Asked Questions
Questions That Providers Have About uMedMarket
Its an online shopping site for local cash healthcare services that works like Kayak.com but for healthcare. uMedMarket can be used three ways:
- The Shopping Service: This service allows users to shop for cash discounted medical care by service, provider, price, location and ratings. They can schedule service online or schedule themselves, whichever they prefer. This service requires an annual subscription purchased by an employer or by individuals and provides unlimited access to shopping at no additional cost. Users must pay cash to the provider at the time of service.
- The Voucher Service: This service allows users to shop for a single service by price, general location and rating. Providers are anonymous until purchase is complete. Payment is online and once verified, uMedMarket provides contact information and they physician order, if required, to the provider. The provider then contacts the consumer directly to schedule service. This is a one-time purchase with no subscription or other fees. This service is expected to go live in the Fall of 2019.
- The Concierge Service: Concierge shopping is a stand alone custom service for high cost medical services (but is included in the highest level subscription shopping service). With this service we will shop any high cost service you need, from knee surgery to cardiac bypass surgery. We will find options for you based on your priorities. If low cost is the primary objective, we can find high quality US providers for the service you need, though you may need to travel and stay in a hotel overnight. We can find ultra-low cost quality options if you are willing to travel internationally. If quality/experience of the provider is the primary objective, we can find a provider that specializes in the specialty service you need and performs that service at a high frequency with excellent outcomes. Again, you may need to travel and stay in a hotel overnight. uMedMarket is committed to bringing choice and competition to healthcare. We offer several concierge payment models for employers here.
For the Shopping Service, the terms of payment are up to the provider. Traditionally, the patient pays when they have their appointment, but some providers allow for installment payments. For direct cash services (not vouchers), uMedMarket does not come between providers and patients. For Vouchers and Concierge service, providers are paid by uMedMarket before service is rendered.
Providers can utilize uMedMarket 3 ways:
- List available cash services on the uMedMarket shopping website for users to shop and compare price, location and rating. Providers set their own prices and uMedMarket provides marketing at no cost to providers, since employers pay for access to shopping for their employees.
- List specific cash services anonymously in the form of a voucher by price, general location and rating. uMedMarket markets these vouchers to the public, targeting HDHP beneficiaries and those without insurance. Only after the user purchases the service is the provider identified. uMedMarket charges the user a 13% service fee and the provider is paid their full price in cash.
- Confidentially bid an all-inclusive price for the service being requested.
For Shoppers, the user will contact the provider directly and identify themselves as a uMedMarket beneficiary to schedule service. At the time of service the user will document their uMedMarket membership and pay the provider the uMedMarket listed price directly to the provider per the provider’s posted payment terms.
For Voucher purchasers, uMedMarket notifies the provider of a voucher purchase and provides contact information (as well as a copy of the physician order if required). The provider contacts the purchaser directly to verify the voucher code and to schedule service. At the time of service, the purchaser presents the Voucher code to the provider for service. The provider is paid before service is rendered.
For Concierge purchasers, providers confidentially bid on the requested service. If the puchaser wishes to consider the bid, the provider must contact the purchaser, either by phone or in person to answer specific questions. If this involves an in-person consultation, that fee must be included in the bid. If the purchaser decides not to use the provider but did complete an in-person consultation, the consultation fee is paid to the provider.
All insurance deductible issues are between the user and their insurance company. Users are advised that uMedMarket is not insurance and that cash payments are assumed to be ‘out of network’ unless the user’s insurance company decides otherwise. The provider need only provide a cash receipt and the user has been advised that the provider will not file a claim with the user’s insurance company.
For subscribers, users pay cash directly to providers according to the provider’s posted payment terms.
For Voucher purchasers, buyers pay uMedMarket directly and uMedMarket pays providers. Providers are paid by ACH before service is rendered.
For Concierge Service purchasers, buyers pay uMedMarket directly and uMedMarket pays the provider before service is rendered.